Sunday, February 25, 2007


Seeing the old barns also reminded me of the time when my dad and I went up to Whatcom County, I think it was when we were working on our family genealogy. This is a picture of the barn that my dad helped his grandpa build in the 1930's when he was a child. The house where they lived wasn't there anymore but the barn was doing fine.

***This is being posted a couple days later. I asked Dad where this barn is located and here's what he said, "The Barn is or was on the property on the Telegraph road just south of the old Liberty school, on the east side. My grandparents bought the property about 1910, so the barn was built shortly after that." He didn't say but this property was somewhere between Bellingham and Sumas. It was a surprise to me for him to say that the barn would have been built shortly after 1910 since my dad wasn't even born till 1931 but I guess it makes sense as my dad's grandpa died when my dad was 8 or 9 years old. Maybe what my dad had said was that he helped his grandpa in the barn. I would love to drive up to Whatcom County one of these days and see if the barn is still there.

2 comments:

Tracey said...

Where? Where? I'm in Whatcom County...

Isn't it fun to find family history? I've got the barn that my great-grandfather built on my barn blog (also in Whatcom Co!)

Beemoosie said...

How wonderful your dad could see the barn he helped build, and share that information with you!